What is an Anti-Fatigue Mat?
An anti-fatigue mat is simply a foam padded mat that you stand on while doing certain activities. Examples can be while wood-working, working in the kitchen, bartending, or standing at a standing desk at work. Some great benefits from standing on a mat at office desk!
They can come in many forms such as non-flat, which means that they have a textured “terrain” surface that allows for unconscious movement – resulting in a lot of health benefits.
They can come in many different sizes allowing you to choose one that will mostly fit you and finding the best size for an anti-fatigue mat for you
How Does an Anti-Fatigue Mat work?
An anti-fatigue mat is placed on any hard floor surface in order to reduce uncomfortable and physical fatigue. What happens is that when standing for many hours it’s not uncommon to end up in a non-ergonomic stance as a result of your leg muscles getting tired and static.
If a person working at an office desk, standing on an anti-fatigue mat, his muscles will subtly contract and expand as they adjust to the flexibility of the anti-fatigued mat.
While letting your leg muscles be more relaxed this increases the optimized usage of the blood flow which in turns increases energy and concentration.
The fatigue is reduced by letting the oxygen be transferred by the blood flow to the heart (pretty much like an acupressure mat increases blood flow), which is increased by the subtle movement caused by the softer surface. Since work can be exhausting and when concentration levels are high, this is also a result of a loss of blood flow.
Benefits of Standing on an anti-fatigue mat at your Standing Desk
- The micro movements caused by the anti-fatigue mat shift your weight distribution throughout the lower extremities and balance out the amount of ‘work’ each leg does, reducing fatigue and promoting better blood circulation in the legs, feet, hips, and lower back.
- Reducing strain on the legs, knees, and extremities.
- Can also work for adding pressure points to the underside of your feet if standing without your shoes – resulting in a better concentration and a feeling of well being.
- Slowly burning calories by standing up for many hours instead of sitting down
- Strengthening the spine and posture – making you look and become more confident. Combine it with a lumbar brace for increased posture!
Textured or Flat anti-fatigue mat?
For standing by a desk, id recommends going for a textured surfaced anti-fatigue mat. Since you will often stand still even on the mat, the smack nodes and spike can incent more movement – especially if you are standing without your shoes.
Anti-Fatigue Mat or Insoles?
Well, they don’t really work the same way. Using insoles is a great way to reduce discomfort and strains but doesn’t invite for unconscious movement – which is the ultimate goal when finding benefits from standing on an anti-fatigue mat.
Can you use an Anti-Fatigue mat with Heels?
Yes! But you have to find the balance between finding one that is not too soft resulting in making you slip and hurt your wrists. Buy a medium-soft and a flat anti-fatigue mat for shoes with heels and you’d be fine!