What is a Smart Mattress?
A smart mattress is a type of bed equipped with sensors that assist to improve your overall sleep and/or has technology that tracks your sleep patterns.
Smart Mattresses are enabled by technology, and include different capabilities such as:
- Automatic Firmness Adjustments – Smart beds have intelligent air pumps that adjust the mattress’ firmness while you sleep for maximum comfort
- Adjustable Bases – Adding an adjustable base to your smart mattress allows you increase the incline of the head or foot of the bed
- Sleep Tracking – collects data about your movement and heart rate as well as the room’s noise and temperature levels
- Climate Control – If you get hot or cold during the night, climate control can help to keep you at your ideal temperature
- Connection to Smart Devices – all this data can be relayed to your favorite smart device for further tracking
What is a Sleep Number Bed?
A Sleep Number bed is an adjustable bed that allows the sleeper to customize the firmness of the bed to their desired level through the use of air pumps.
The C2 set is the most basic Sleep Number bed which means that it is also the most affordable. There are other Sleep Number beds which are more expensive than this one but when compared to their level of comfort, all deliver the same relaxation. The difference of this item with the less affordable variants is its thickness and the lack of foam pad between the cover and air chambers.
The air chambers of the Sleep Number bed which is connected to a pump can make the mattress inflate or deflate. Using a remote, you can control the firmness of your mattress.
The C2 bed has 10 different sizes and starting from the full size, the bed has two chambers which are each customizable using its dual air technology. The Smart Number is really pretty smart for a bed!
Sleep Number Mattress vs Alternative Mattress
Should you get a Sleep Number mattress?
That depends on many things.
Sleep Number Mattresses are a great choice for sleepers that are looking for a way to customize firmness of their bed for maximum comfort. Especially for those who like different firmness levels depending on the sleep position.
Still, here are some considerations when selecting a Sleep Number vs Alternatives:
- Do you really need an adjustable mattress? I’m perfectly happy with my non-adjustable mattress. The biggest benefit is when you’re sleeping with your significant other who likes a different firmness than you do.
- How much does a Sleep Number Mattress Cost compared to alternatives? – Sleep Number beds are not cheap, but they are worth the price. With so many less expensive choices on the market, it is worth looking to see if there is a more cost effective choice that would suit your needs.
- What features do you need in a mattress? – It is important to know all the features and compare beds based on what you really need. Why pay for features you don’t need? Alternatively, what if you want a feature the Sleep Number does not have – like dual temperature control? Make a list of what you want the most, and narrow down your choices from there.
- What happens if you don’t like it? – Many mattress company offer 3 month trial periods for you to test out your new mattress and have easy return policies in case you’re not satisfied. Make sure you are happy with the trial period and return policy.
- What is the shipping cost? – Shipping a mattress is not cheap. Still the mattress companies offset this cost to make it affordable for customers. While Sleep Number charges $199 for shipping, some mattress companies will ship for free, lessening the overall expense.
Taking Care of Adjustable Beds
Some of the tips below don’t just apply for adjustable beds but for normal beds as well.
- If the bed is in a sitting position and the pressure is concentrated in one area only, rotate the mattress regularly so it can recover from the sleeper’s weight. Rotation also applies to most beds.
- Hand controls, especially wired ones, must be checked regularly for damage as electrical cords are most risky when used with your bed.
- Don’t plug your bed in an extension cord. Place it in the main power source. It’s also not recommended to plug too many cords into an outlet where you plugged the bed.
- Don’t let your kids jump over the bed especially on the foot area or where the motor is as too much weight can cause the whole bed to malfunction.
- Don’t spill drinks or liquids on your bed. We all know water and electricity is a damaging combination.
Should I Flip my Memory Foam Mattress Over to the clean side?
Regular mattress always has the possibility of turning it over so that the dips and sags on the one side will be recovered once you use the other side. However, mattresses that use memory foams have layers which varied in terms of firmness, and there’s of course, one material that must be placed on top before the cover.
Standard airbeds can be flipped over to even the compression while adjustable beds can be rotated but can’t be flipped due to the fact that they have motors inside the bed. Hybrid mattresses can be flipped but some designs can’t.
Can I have a Pet in my Bed while I’m Using SleepTracker?
The Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2.0 Adjustable Bed Set can be used along with SleepTracker to monitor the sleeper’s sleeping activities.
Having a pet with you on the bed should not affect your sleep data if they stay at the foot of the bed, however, if they move a lot during the night and cuddle with you, expect that it will mess up your sleeping record.