What is a Memory Foam Mattress?
You always hear experts or other people say that memory foam increases sleeping quality, but you don’t exactly have any ideas what memory foam is.
- Memory foams are first introduced by NASA and used as extra cushioning for aircraft seats to reduce damages from crashes.
- Memory foam is made from a substance called viscoelastic, a polyurethane material that when it undergoes deformation, it shows both viscous and elastic properties. The viscosity and elasticity of memory foam make it slower to return to its original form after experiencing pressure compare to other foam types.
- Memory foam mattresses make you sink deeper and contour your body, helping to relieve back and bodily aches.
What are the 3 Types of Memory Foams?
1. Traditional Memory Foam is the most common type of memory foam that gives us a traditional hug and body contour.
- It is anti-microbial and anti-dust mite that gives off a cleaner sleeping environment.
- Ideal for cold places as this foam produces heat faster than any foam types.
- Has a “quicksand” tendency which means that it’s slow to react to changes in motion.
2. AirCooler Memory Foam
- The drawback of traditional memory foam is that it produces more heat and thus, it’s not ideal for hot places. Aircooler Memory Foams respond to your body temperature and regulate heat leaving you to stay cool throughout the night. A great combination is a sleep number bed smart bed – which is a bed that can regulate its temperatue.
- It responds faster to pressure and eliminates the “quicksand” feeling the traditional memory foam gives.
3. Gel Memory Foam
- Disperses heat better than traditional memory foam.
- It offers more bodily support and denser than the other types of memory foam.
What are the Best Kinds of Memory Foam Mattresses?
- Pocket Sprung Memory Foam Mattresses or what is commonly referred to as Hybrid Mattresses are chosen by individuals who prefer firmer mattresses. The higher the number of spring between foams, the firmer the mattress would be. The Leesa Mattress is a hybrid form of mattress.
- A Mattress in a Box is usually preferred by busy people as it can easily fit into any type of bed and is a great item for modern living.
- Temperature Regulating Memory Foam Mattresses, by the name itself, are the breathable type of mattress that can conform to your body temperature. If you’re always waking up in the middle of the night feeling too hot or too cold, then this mattress is just what you need. The Zinus Memory Foam Green Tea Mattress, Signature Sleep Mattress, Brentwood Gel13 Memory Foam Mattress, and Nectar Full Mattress are Temperature Regulating Memory foam Mattresses.
- Orthopedic Memory Foam Mattresses are doing us a favor of eliminating the achy and stiffly feel after sleeping as these were designed to conform to our body’s shapes and weight and help align our spine as we sleep.
What are the Benefits of Memory Foam Mattress Over Regular Mattresses?
Memory foam mattresses are used for the classic type of mattresses for a number of health reasons.
Often, we blame our behaviors during the day for our sleepless nights; and there are only a few of us who observed that what we’re lying onto might be the reason why we’re restless at night when we’re supposed to sleep.
Here are the top benefits why more and more people are leaning into Memory Foam Mattresses over the traditional ones:
- Memory Foam mattress gives proper posture that eliminates back issues, much like a back or lumbar brace
- It’s different from conventional mattresses in a way that it lessens the weight on our pressure points that are often the reasons why we wake up with sore muscles and bodily aches.
- It adjusts to individuals’ body temperature.
- It helps prevents sleep apnea by giving proper head elevation and allowing airflow to the trachea and lungs.
- It’s free from organic fibers which are prone to bedbugs and dust mites. The polyurethane material used in memory foams help prevent allergy-causing organisms that are common in conventional foam types.
- Memory foams are much more durable than the conventional ones with an average life expectancy of 15 years.
What are the Disadvantages of using a Memory Foam Mattress?
Like all other items in the world, Memory Foams likewise have drawbacks that we must be aware of.
- Some complain that a memory foam mattress is heavier than the regular ones which mean that transferring it to the other parts of the house could be difficult.
- Due to its substance, memory foams can have an off-gassing smell that can last up to several weeks. These are for the cheap memory foam mattresses at least, as products like the Brentwood Memory Foam Mattress and Nectar Full Mattress have specialized composition that prevents chemical odors. Compare to the regular type of mattress, memory foam mattresses are more expensive. If the budget is tight then some wouldn’t choose to buy it. However, the health benefits that memory foam mattress bring makes it worthy of its price.
Which Firmness in a Memory Foam Mattress is The Best?
Honestly, choosing the best memory foam type for your mattress solely depends on your preference and your needs. If you always sleep hot and comfortable with it, then Temperature Regulating Memory Foam Mattress like the Zinus Memory Foam Mattress and the Brentwood Mattress is the best for you.
If you have bad posture and back pain, Orthopedic Memory Foams like the Nectar Full Mattress and Signature Sleep Mattress are what you need. If you have a problem staying put on your bed, then you would likely need Gel Memory Foam like the Brentwood Mattress as this has a better edge and body support.
Before buying a memory foam mattress, you have to see to it that it will fit your budget and your need. There are lots of memory foam mattress brands in the market and you have to be keen and be specific of your needs so as not to get a regrettable item.
Can a Memory Foam Mattress Improve Sleep Quality?
Yes! Everything that makes your sleeping experience better will improve sleep quality.
If it so happens that you will find an easier time falling asleep or if you don’t feel the same need to twist around in the bed at night, it will significantly improve your sleep quality!
Is a Memory Foam Mattress Good if I Sleep on The Side
Memory foam mattresses are great for side-sleepers as they let the side of your body gently side down in the memory foam to not let you have that uncomfortable feeling of sleeping on your arm.